Kitchen is Progressing Nicely
I painted the cabinets with Benjamin Moore Waterborne Impervo in Simply White. The interior back of the existing cabinets are painted with Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter.
I didn't think painting the cabinets would be that big of a deal. I wanted to brush paint the new cabinets so they'd match the old cabinets. It was much more frustrating that I expected. I used Impervo as recommended by a cabinet guy. I chose the Waterborne over the Oil because the paint gal said it wouldn't yellow and is easier cleanup. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't use Impervo. I had to do three coats over primer to get good coverage. I still don't think it's quite solid looking enough, but I'm not going to do another coat. Also, when I was doing the third coat, the paint was going on goopy. I did some research and finally decided to thin it a tiny bit with water like it said on the can. It went on much better then. So now that it's done, I've accepted the outcome and am moving on. I just hope the paint is as scrubbable as it claims. At least it'll be easy to touch up.
The general process for paint the cabinet boxes:
- Prep- lightly sand and wipe down
- Tape
- Prime
- Remove Tape
- Wait min. 2 hours
- Sand primer
- Tape
- Paint first coat
- Remove Tape
- Wait min. 8 hours
- Sand the goops and dust bits out and wipe down
- Tape
- Paint second coat
- Remove Tape
- Wait min. 8 hours
- Sand the goops and dust bits out and wipe down
- Tape
- Paint a third coat
- Remove Tape
- Cross my fingers
To paint the cabinet doors, I removed and numbered all the hinges and hinge holes on the doors. I primed both sides, then did 2 coats on the backs. Once the backs had cured for a couple days, I flipped them and did 3 coats on the fronts.
I painted the walls Benjamin Moore's Green Tea.
I still need to strip, sand and paint the old upper cabinet doors.
Progress has been slow as we've been gardening, went to a Mariner's game, and have been catching up on other chores.
However, after much research and debate, we did purchase our refrigerator, range, dishwasher, and hood this past weekend. It'll be 2-3 weeks before they are all here. Now we need to figure out what cabinet hardware and countertops to get.
We thought about wood countertops, but the very affordable ones from Ikea are unavailable for an undetermined length of time, the affordable ones from Lumber Liquidators are unavailable until end of July. I feel so-so about using granite, but I like the patterns ... Terry thinks granite is too "busy". All the quotes we got for quartz and concrete were really high. We'd hate to spend $1800 to $2000 for countertops. So, maybe we can find a dealer with remnants. We'll see what happens.
Meanwhile, this project still doesn't feel too inconvenient, expect for dishwashing in the tub. We have gone through a lot of paper plates though.
I'm looking forward to the upcoming sunny weekend! Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment